This easy vegan cream of mushroom soup is a great dairy free alternative that does not slack on flavor. This soup uses cashew cream sauce and a variety of mushrooms that will satisfy anyone on a vegan, whole30, paleo or low carb diet.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
Mushrooms are nutrient powerhouses. Mushrooms contain fiber, selenium, B vitamins as well as naturally occurring vitamin D when exposed to the sun.
Traditional cream of mushroom soup is not vegan because it contains milk or cream and usually butter. This recipe uses my one ingredient cashew cream sauce in order to make it creamy without using any dairy products. I use cashew cream instead of using coconut milk because even though coconut milk is a great dairy free substitute, I still end up tasting hints of coconut which takes away from the mushroom flavor.
You can serve this to your friends or at a dinner party and satisfy a huge range of people that are on vegan, vegetarian, paleo, whole30 or keto diets.
You can use a variety of mushrooms. Every variety of mushroom has varying health benefits, so you can use as many types of mushrooms as you like.
What Mushrooms Are In Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
You can use any type of mushroom, but the best to use in making mushroom soup are:
- White Button
Main Ingredient’s In Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup:
Cashew Cream Sauce – using cashews to make a vegan creamy sauce is one of the best ways to keep dairy out of a meal. All you need to do is soak raw cashews in water. Rinse and drain them and blend them with water or stock and seasonings to your liking.
Vegetable Broth or Stock – Even though sauteing mushrooms creates a great flavor on its own, using a vegetable broth or stock will add even more flavor to this soup.
Fresh Garlic – minced fresh garlic works best, but dried garlic powder is a fine substitute.
You can also use a variety of herbs and spices – Thyme and rosemary work best here, but you can also add in some parsley, tarragon, sage or even spice it up with cayenne pepper. Fresh herbs or dried herbs will both work!
How To Make Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
1 . Add raw cashews to a jar and cover with clean filtered water. Let sit for 6 hours or overnight in fridge. Once ready to make your soup, drain and rinse them and add them to a high speed blender.
2. Heat up some avocado oil in a large sauce pot over medium high heat. Saute your mushrooms, onions, and garlic and seasonings until browned and cooked through.
3. Set aside ⅓ of your cooked mushroom, garlic and onion mix. Add the rest of the cooked mushrooms to your blender along with the soaked cashews and the vegetable broth or stock. Blend on high speed until soup is creamy.
4. Add soup back into the sauce pot along with reserved cooked mushrooms and heat it through over medium heat. Adjust seasonings if necessary and serve hot.
What To Serve With Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
- Gluten Free Cornbread
- As an appetizer
- On top of green beans for a holiday green bean casserole
- With a side of green salad
Reader Questions and Recipe Tips:
Can you freeze vegan cream of mushroom soup? This mushroom soup can easily be frozen. Because it is vegan and made with dairy free ingredients, the cashew cream may separate from the broth so it may need to be blended back up to get emulsified.
Is Campbell’s canned mushroom soup vegan? Campbell’s soup is not vegan because it contains milk ingredients. This is also true for Lipton soup packets.
Can I add barley or wild rice to mushroom soup? You can add any grain you want to this soup however it must be cooked separately and added to the soup after it is cooked through.
Can I add wine to vegan cream of mushroom soup? Dry white or red wine can be added for another layer of flavor. Add it while your mushrooms, garlic and onion are cooking so the alcohol is cooked off. You can use marsala, sherry wine or even merlot.
Make it Chunky. I like putting aside ⅓ of the cooked mushrooms to add into the blended portion of the soup. This makes it look extra delicious and gives the soup a great texture.
To reheat vegan cream of mushroom soup. Since cashew cream may separate in fridge or freezer, it may need to be blended up again to emulsify. Add soup to a medium soup pot and heat over medium low heat. If soup is too thick, add in some broth or water. If it ends up being too thin, add some more cashew cream sauce until desired consistency is reached.
Check Out These Other Soup Recipes:
- Split Pea Soup
- Pork Chile Verde
- Keto Hamburger Soup
- Vegetable Minestrone
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Low Carb Lemon Chicken Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Vegan Mushroom Risotto
Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 1.5 cups Raw Cashews
- 24 oz Mushrooms chopped
- 1 medium White Onion diced
- ½ cup Celery chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 4 cups Vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme chopped
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 . Add raw cashews to a jar and cover with clean filtered water. Let sit for 6 hours or overnight in the fridge. To save time, soak them in very hot water for 1-2 hours until they are soft. Once ready to make your soup, drain and rinse them and add them to a high speed blender.
- 2. Heat up some avocado oil in a large sauce pot over medium high heat. Saute your mushrooms, celery, onions, and garlic for about 5 minutes or until onions start to become translucent. Toss in your chopped mushrooms, thyme, rosemary salt and pepper. Add in coconut aminos and continue to saute until mushrooms are cooked through and have released all their water.
- 3. Add the cooked mushrooms to your blender along with the soaked cashews and the vegetable broth or stock. Blend in a high speed blender on high until soup is creamy.
- 4. Add soup back into the sauce pot and heat it through over medium heat. Adjust seasonings if necessary and serve hot.
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.
Check out my Podcast: Food Conversations
Email me: email@example.com
Follow me on Instagram
Join my community on Facebook
See what I’m pinning on Pinterest