This easy Keto Chocolate Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is made from scratch and loaded with lots of chocolate flavor. It will quickly become a family favorite treat all year long. A great treat for those following a low carb or ketogenic lifestyle.
I am a huge chocolate fan so after developing Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs a few months ago, I knew I had to create another chocolate keto recipe that we could all enjoy as a tasty treat, meet these delicious addicting keto chocolate cupcakes!
What is a Keto Chocolate Cupcake?
A Keto chocolate cupcake is a low carb cupcake that is still loaded with the delicious flavor and texture that we love from a chocolate cupcake. Topped with this cream cheese frosting this keto chocolate cupcake will be a new Keto favorite.
What are Keto Cupcakes made of?
The secret to making Keto cupcakes is some of the ingredients that you add to make the cupcakes Keto. To make Keto Chocolate cupcakes you will need to use almond flour as well as Gelatin and Erythritol. Together these ingredients help thicken, sweeten and make a delicious keto cupcake.
🧁 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Almond Flour – is low in carbs and great for cookies, cakes, and quick bread.
- Gelatin – this product is perfect to add to a keto diet because it helps to thicken these cupcakes.
- Erythritol – has zero calories and is an excellent source to use as a sweetener for this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder – adds a deep chocolatey taste and as a bonus is a great source of fiber.
- Full Fat Sour Cream – contains a significant number of vitamins and minerals and helps add moisture to this keto cupcake. Do not worry you will not be able to taste the sour cream.
- Vanilla Extract – adds a vanilla taste to both the icing and the cupcake mixture. Also if you wish to omit the Vanilla flavoring in both the cupcake mixture and cream cheese frosting it does not mess with the chemistry
- Cream Cheese – this is the base of the delicious cream cheese frosting. Let your cream cheese sit at room temperature to ensure it mixes to a smooth texture.
In order to make these Keto Chocolate cupcakes, you will want to have these tools on hand:
- Cupcake Pan – A cupcake pan is essential when making keto cupcakes to ensure your cupcakes hold their shape while cooking.
- Cupcake Liners – Cupcake liners make it so you can easily remove your cupcakes from the pan.
- Stand mixer – Making cupcakes in a stand mixer just makes your life easier. It helps you evenly mix the ingredients at the desired speed you want for a nice even mix.
- Cupcake Scoop – To ensure your cupcakes cook evenly, you want to fill your liners evenly. Your key to success with this is a cupcake scoop to make sure each liner is filled with the same amount of cupcake mix.
- Toothpicks – Be sure to have some toothpicks on hand so that you can check to see if your cupcakes are done. As soon as the toothpick comes out clean you will want to pull these cupcakes out of the oven. The most common mistake with a chocolate cupcake is it being cooked too long which dries it out.
📖 How to Make Keto Chocolate Cupcakes
1️⃣ Preheat the oven to 325. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
2️⃣ In a medium sized bowl, add dry ingredients: almond flour, gelatin, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Whisk until fully combined.
3️⃣ In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract.
4️⃣ Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in batches until an even chocolate batter is formed.
5️⃣ Spoon batter into cupcake liners until they are ¾ full. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6️⃣ Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
7️⃣ Place cream cheese frosting in a pastry bag or ziploc bag with the tip cut off. Squeeze frosting out onto the cupcake.
👉 How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
1️⃣ To a stand mixer, add softened cream cheese, butter, sweetener and vanilla extract. Start out mixing on low with the paddle attachment and increase the speed as it comes together. Scrape down sides as needed and continue to mix until a frosting is formed.
2️⃣ Add to a pastry bag or ziploc bag to frost cupcakes
👉 How to Frost Cupcakes with a Pastry Bag (or Ziploc)
To frost your cupcakes with a pastry bag or Ziploc bag:
1️⃣ To begin frosting your cupcakes, you will want to set up your pastry bag. Place the piping tip down in the bottom of your pastry bag prior to filling it with frosting. If using a Ziploc bag no need to do this. You will just cut a medium diagonal on one of the corners once the bag is filled.
2️⃣ To fill the pastry bag with icing, hold the bag in the middle and fold the top half down. Using a spoon or a spatula scoop your cream cheese frosting into your pastry bag and push it to the bottom of the pastry or Ziploc bag. Be sure to only fill the bag about ⅔ of the way up.
3️⃣ Once you have filled your bag ⅔ of the way twist the top of the bag and gently squeeze the excess air out of the bag ( I usually squeeze it over the bowl of frosting so any frosting that comes out goes back into the bowl) and you are ready to pipe your frosting onto your Keto Chocolate Cupcake.
🧑🍳 Chef’s Tips
When you have all your dry and wet ingredients combined be sure you don’t over mix or too many air bubbles will form and it will take away the fluffy texture you are trying to achieve with these keto chocolate cupcakes.
Let cupcakes cool completely:
You will want to completely cool these cupcakes prior to frosting them. Frosting a warm cupcake causes the frosting to melt and not set up properly on the cupcake.
♻️ Storing & Freezing
Storing: You should store your keto chocolate cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Storing these cupcakes in the fridge will dry out your cupcakes faster, so try and avoid placing them in the fridge.
Freezing: Keto recipes freeze very well. You can freeze these cupcakes in an airtight container or in a Ziploc bag with the excess air removed prior to placing in the freezer. I recommend freezing your cupcakes prior to frosting them.
Freezing cupcakes give you the option to pull out one cupcake at a time and enjoy it whenever you desire since this recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
Gelatin helps give your recipe a dense chewiness. This is important because it imitates what gluten does in recipes without adding it. Gelatin also helps trap in the liquid in the recipe which helps make a stretchier dough, perfect for baked goods.
With this recipe, you cannot use coconut flour. You want to stick to the recipe and use almond flour to ensure the cupcakes turn out great.
More Keto Dessert Recipes
- Keto Cannoli Cream
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Fudge
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Chia Seed Pudding
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Cake
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cup Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp Gelatin
- 1 cup Erythritol
- ⅓ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Full Fat Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened
- ½ cup Butter 1 stick, room temperature
- ½ cup Erythritol
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, add dry ingredients: almond flour, gelatin, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Whisk until fully combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in batches until an even chocolate batter is formed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners until they are ¾ full. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- Place cream cheese frosting in a pastry bag or ziploc bag with the tip cut off. Squeeze frosting out onto the cupcake.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- To a stand mixer, add softened cream cheese, butter, sweetener and vanilla extract. Start out mixing on low with the paddle attachment and increase the speed as it comes together. Scrape down sides as needed and continue to mix until a frosting is formed.
- Add to a pastry bag or ziploc bag to frost cupcakes